About the Australian School and Library Association
The Australian School Library Association Inc. (ASLA) is the national authority, the peak forum in the field of teacher librarianship
and school library resource services.
Its aim is to maximise opportunities for students to obtain
independent lifelong learning and decision making skills through ASLA's
commitment to :
- High professional standards
- Awareness of advances and changes in technology and the competence and ability to teach and use it
- Effective, cooperative use of school resource services by the whole school community
- Qualified teacher librarians with an image of excellence
- Optimum use of the dual skills of teaching and librarianship
ASLA is administered by a Board.
Membership to ASLA is available through the relevant member association, each of which is an independent body with its own administration, and direct membership in a State / Territory that does not have a member association membership status.
National standards and policies are collaboratively developed for school libraries and the teacher librarianship profession.
ASLA engages in advocacy and promotion and lobbying projects and activities on behalf of school libraries.
Professional learning events are conducted in collaboration with member associations or hosted by ASLA.
Research in the field of school libraries and teacher librarianship are negotiated with national research agencies.
Professional resource materials are published to promote the development of school libraries.
ASLA engages in national forums and alliances on behalf of the school library profession.
Members receive the following benefits:
Apply for membership here.
- Discounted registration rate for professional learning.
- Discounted registration rate for additional national professional learning programs.
- Opportunity to apply for the ASLA awards program according to the identified nomination criteria.
- Electronic copies of the national journal, ACCESS.
- Membership rates for ASLA professional resource materials and publications.
- Opportunity to contribute to the strategic activities of the association through Project Teams.
- Contributing to national education submissions and advocacy activities.
- Access to the Members Section of the web portal and discussion list.
Last updated: 9/13/2016 10:09:31 AM