By-law 4: Board
Amended and Accepted: 17 May 2015
Any changes to the Board are by special resolution passed by Voting Members as part of any Constitutional amendment through a General Meeting.
Board members represent the interests of all members of the Association nationally.
4.2. Casual vacancy – office-bearers
- The Board shall fill the vacancy as follows:
- The candidate with the next greatest number of votes in the last election for office-bearers shall be appointed.
- If there are no candidates from the last election then nominations for the vacancy will be called.
- The officer appointed will hold the position of office until the next Annual General Meeting and shall be eligible to be a candidate for election.
4.3. Declaring a director’s position vacant
- If a Director becomes incapable of carrying out the duties of the position or leaves Australia, the position becomes a casual vacancy.
- If a Director ceases to be a financial member of ASLA during the term of office, the position becomes a casual vacancy.
- If a Director is absent from two consecutive meetings of the Board without reasonable consent of the Board, the position becomes a casual vacancy.
- If a Director is removed from office by special resolution in a General Meeting by Voting Members and is unsuccessful in appeal, the position becomes a casual vacancy.
4.4. Casual vacancy – member association directors
The Board shall fill the vacancy as follows:
- For Member Association Director, the Member Association officially notifies the Secretary and the Board of Director appointment.
4.5. Casual vacancy – directors
In a State or Territory without a Member Association, the candidate with the next greatest number of votes in the last election shall be appointed. If there are no candidates from the last election then nominations for the vacancy will be called.
4.6. Temporary leave of absence
A Director who, for personal reasons, will be unable to contribute to email discussions and transact Board business may absent themselves if:
- notice is given to the Secretary with expected length of absence provided;
- that notice is given on the Board members return.
The business of the Board can be transacted with the absent Director being noted as an apology as long as a quorum is present.
4.7 Length of service for Board members
4.7.1 Directors (including Honorary Office Bearers) may serve on the Board for no more than six (6) years.
4.7.2 Honorary Office Bearers may serve up to two (2) terms in the one position (i.e. they may be elected to two consecutive two-year terms i.e. four years). A third term cannot be served in the same position. If a third term is served in another Office Bearer position, then the Office Bearer’s term finishes at the end of six (6) consecutive years of service on the Board.
4.7.3 Directors may not renominate for any position on the Board for one year after the expiry of their six-year term. During this year they are ineligible to fill a casual vacancy for any position on the Board.
Last updated: 17 May 2015
Last updated: 2/17/2016 7:57:06 AM