Policy Statement - School Library Bill of Rights
School libraries are concerned with generating understanding of freedom and with the preservation of this freedom through the development of informed and responsible citizens. The responsibility of the school library is:
- To provide materials that will enrich and support the curriculum, taking into consideration the varied interests, abilities and maturity levels of the pupils served.
- To provide materials that will stimulate growth in factual knowledge, literacy appreciation, aesthetic values and ethical standards.
- To provide a background of information which will enable pupils to make intelligent judgements in their daily life.
- To provide materials on opposing sides of controversial issues so that young citizens may develop under guidance the practice of critical reading and thinking.
- To provide materials representative of the many religious, ethnic and cultural groups and their contributions to our heritage.
- To place principle above personal opinion and reason above prejudice in the selection of materials of the highest quality in order to assure a comprehensive collection appropriate to the users of the library.
Re-approved: August 2000
Last updated: 9/5/2016 9:12:15 AM