Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) and Australian School Library Association (ASLA)
To fulfil the school’s teaching and learning goals the school library needs to be well funded and appropriately resourced.
ALIA objects addressed:
- To promote the free flow of information and ideas in the interest of All Australians and a thriving culture, economy and democracy.
- To promote and improve the services provided by all kinds of library and information agencies.
ASLA objectives addressed:
- Establish, review and maintain national standards and guidelines for school library resource services.
- Develop, write and publish materials which will promote the development of school library resource services and teacher librarianship.
A well resourced school library enhances teaching and learning outcomes. Funding is determined by needs-based budgeting derived from the curriculum, learner and collection needs identified through the ongoing process of analysis and evaluation.
- Personnel: Both professional and support staff are essential for the effective functioning of the school library and information services centre and the achievement of the desired learning outcomes.
- Physical space and environment: The physical space needs to enable a diverse range of educational activities and information services to occur in a safe and welcoming learning environment.
- Furniture: To provide furniture to enable educational activities and information services to occur in a safe and ergonomically sound learning environment.
- Technology: To provide equitable access to current information and communication technology software and hardware to support teaching and learning programs.
- Resources: To provide a diverse range of appropriately sourced and relevant resources in a range of formats to support the current school curricula and learning needs.
Australian School Library Association and Australian Library and Information Association 2001, Learning for the future: developing information services in schools, 2nd ed., Curriculum Corporation, Carlton South.
Standards of professional excellence for teacher librarians
Statement on school library resource centre provision
Statement on teacher librarians in Australia
Adopted: November 1994 - Amended: February 2009